The members of the Leopoldina are organized in 28 sections that are grouped in four classes.
The Masonic lodge “Zu den Drei Degen” bought the property in 1792 and turned it into a cultural venue, hosting concerts, balls and festivals. Under the Nazi regime, the lodge was pressured into transferring ownership of the property to the city of Halle. After World War II, the Soviet military administration used the building as a cultural centre. It was named after the Russian philosopher and writer N. G. Chernyshevsky and served as an auditorium of Martin-Luther-Universität Halle Wittenberg from 1952. In 1998 the property was returned to the Weltkugelstiftung, a non-profit organisation and the legal successor to the Masonic lodge. The Leopoldina bought the building, which had been vacant since 2001, from the Weltkugelstiftung in 2009.