The library is a treasure trove of knowledge amassed by the Leopoldina. The library was founded in 1731 in Nuremberg, where the Academy was based at the time. Containing over 260,000 volumes, monographs and journals on the natural sciences and medicine, it is both a rich historical archive and a bountiful source of current scientific knowledge.
It also has special collections of publications on the history of science and the documentations of scientific societies and associations. Most of the library’s stock, which is housed on six levels, was acquired by exchanging Academy publications with partners around the world, and through gifts from Academy
The Academy Library is open to anyone working in research and teaching who is interested as well as to members of the public in general. The stocks can be used in the reading room in Emil-Abderhalden-Straße 36 or externally via local or long-distance lending as well as direct supply services for documents. The electronic catalogue OPAC may be used online.
Der Lesesaal bleibt am Dienstag, 10. Dezember geschlossen und öffnet erst wieder am Mittwoch, 11. Dezember 2019.
Please note that the signature groups
Cb 1 / ... 4°
are blocked for lending until presumably April 2020 due to portfolio maintenance measures.
Please contact the library staff with any questions you may have.