The target group for the program is up-and-coming young scientists from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland who already indicate an independent research profile in disciplines represented in the Leopoldina. Provided funding is approved, they conduct independent projects at the most renowned research institutions of their disciplines abroad. German research fellows have to choose a foreign research institute, while Austrian and Swiss research fellows must select a host institute in Germany.
Recipients are expected to return to their home country at the end of the funding period and implement their newly acquired knowledge and skills there.
- Young scientists from all areas of the natural sciences, medicine, the history of sciences or any other disciplines covered by sections of the Academy are eligible to apply. Applications can be submitted up to seven years after completion of the doctoral degree. Applicants must have a distinctive research capability, display an independent research profile and be distinguished by excellent achievements.
- Applications may be submitted at any time. Decisions to award grants are made four times a year. Awards meetings are held on average every three to four months.
- A waiting list is created for applications from highly suitable candidates who cannot be funded immediately due to budgetary reasons. This list will be maintained until the next award meeting and will then be included again.
- The funding includes a personal, individual full scholarship. This comprises a basic grant (according to the rates of the German Research Foundation -DFG- for postdoctoral/research grants), surcharges (according to marital status and host city), as well as a monthly budget of €250 for material and consumables (travel expenses, laboratory supplies, etc.). Any additional costs must be listed and applied for separately when submitting the application.
- The basic scholarship may be increased by up to ten percent in cases of particularly outstanding achievements during the funding period.
- Funding at the host institute is possible for projects which can be carried out in one, up to two years.
- The objective is to largely remain financially independent of the host institute.
- An Academy fellowship program coordinator will be available for questions and assistance throughout the entire funding period.
- application submitted within seven years of completing the doctorate
- verifiable special research qualification
- proof of ability to conduct independent research
- evidence of excellent achievements of both studies and academic careers to date
For further information, please refer to the document “Leopoldina-Förderprogramm Antrag“ (right).
For all questions concerning the application process please contact the coordinator of the fellowship program Dr. Andreas Clausing (firstname.lastname@example.org).